Welcome to SMGPF (South Manchester GP Federation)
We are a network of all 24 South Manchester GP practices and are committed to working together effectively, to maintain a high quality primary care service and to achieve the objectives set out by NHS England in its Primary Care Commissioning Strategy.
Our 24 member practices each retain their own individual identities, but recognise that working together as a Federation will enable us:
- To meet current and future patient needs.
- To provide high quality Primary Care to all, and reduce variation in care.
- To ensure access to high quality Primary Care services and reduce pressures on Emergency Departments.
- To promote integrated care by working effectively with social, community and secondary health care.
- To 'scale up' to enable a shift from acute to community services.
- To balance financial constraint with increasing demand.
- Patients are dealing with local, familiar service providers - local General Practices.
- Total population coverage with equal access to all primary care services for patients in South Manchester.
- Improved access and a wider range of services offered to patients.
- Peer led support for education, training and innovation.
- Opportunities to redesign services and improve the patient journey.
- Economies of scale such as opportunities to invest in and share staff, premises and infrastructure.
- Reducing bureaucratic burdens on clinicians and managers.
- Opportunities to innovate and explore new income streams into Primary Care.
Benefits and Opportunities
The potential benefits and opportunities of effective joint working in this way are numerous: